About Tom Humbarger
I am currently working full-time as the Manager of Marketing and Social Marketing Strategy at AppleOne Employment Services – part of the Act-1 Group of Companies.
Consulting Background - As a consultant focused on helping businesses and individuals improve their use of marketing and social media. My specialties include marketing, product marketing, product strategy, community strategy and community management.
At the end of 2009, I was also identified as one of 54 social media strategists to watch in 2010 by 451 Marketing.
I am an innovative and well-rounded executive with unique blend of business, strategic, technical, quantitative and analytical savvy – which includes the ability to see the “big picture” while not being afraid to roll up my sleeves.
For more on my background in social media and details on social media consulting, check out this interview that I had with Tony Karrer. If you want to learn more about me personally, check out my 25 things you didn’t know about me blog post or things that “I Prize”.
My recent projects include:
- Managed a major re-launch of website and content re-write for high tech company
- Launched an online product and related online community support site
- Developed the social media strategy for a 40-location casual dining restaurant chain
- Managed the day-to-day activities for all of the social media properties of a 40-location casual dining chain (including Facebook, Twitter, Yelp, Foursquare, Google, Slideshare, Youtube, etc.)
- Wrote requirements, developed community strategy and completed a beta launch for a start-up professional communityDevised the social media strategy for a leading visionary in the insurance
- Providing community strategy for a professional community start-up
- Serving as community manager for small professional community
- Created marketing materials for services company
- Managing the re-launch of a marketing website
- Developing social media strategies for an advertising agency
- Created and grew a niche B2B community from 0 to 4,000 members in 15 months while generating and sourcing the majority of the community content including personally authoring 105 blog posts
- Developed programs to drive 75,000 community visits and 320,000 pageviews
- Wrote more than 75 corporate blog posts in the last year in role as lead corporate blogger, which represented nearly 5% of overall website traffic
- Managed successful B2B user-generated content contest that generated 44 entries and more than 25,000 total hits on YouTube
My Community Background – I was the community manager for Catalyze Community from its initial spark of an idea in August 2006 through the public launch in June 2007 until it hit the 4,000 member mark in July 2008. Catalyze is a B2B community for professionals who define and design software applications and websites, and is sponsored by iRise. I was responsible for community strategy, day-to-day operational management, content generation, blogging, member communication, marketing, evangelism, business development and vendor management. During the first 13 months of operation, Catalyze had nearly 75,000 visitors who viewed more than 320,000 pages.
I also wrote the specifications and helped on the strategy for a professional community in the pension governance space, and I launched a product support community for a cloud computing company.
Social Media for CPAs Article – I co-wrote an article with my friend Michael Allmon for the California Society of CPAs. The article appeared in the 2011 Technology and Business Guide issue as the cover story.
Community article and interview in KM World – View the May 2008 article from KM World, Social Networking: KM and Beyond by Judith Lamont where I shared my views on community.