We prize making the impossible possible.
That’s the slogan for the X PRIZE Foundation. I saw the slogan in an interesting and inspiring video posted on their website last week:
In case you don’t know anything about X PRIZE, here is a brief description: “The X PRIZE Foundation is an educational nonprofit organization whose mission is to bring about radical breakthroughs for the benefit of humanity, thereby inspiring the formation of new industries and the revitalization of markets that are currently stuck due to existing failures or a commonly held belief that a solution is not possible.” The X PRIZE Foundation hosts competitions in four categories – Energy, Exploration, Education and Global Development and Life Sciences – and current competitions include the Google Lunar Prize, the Archon Genomics Prize, and the Wendy Schmidt Oil Clean-up Prize.
After watching the X PRIZE video, I decided to jot down the things that I prize from a world, professional and personal basis — and it turned out to be a great exercise for me for putting things in perspective.
From an X PRIZE perspective, I prize a world:
- where all people have the same access to educational and technical resources
- where everyone receives quality healthcare
- that takes the environment seriously
- that continues to explore its physical boundaries
From a career perspective, I prize:
- a company of passionate and curiously smart people who want to make a difference
- a career where individual performance and excellence is rewarded
- an environment where teamwork and collegiality is encouraged and expected
- an entrepreneurial environment where experimentation is the status quo
- a company that is doing great things on the cutting edge
- early morning runs
- ocean sunsets
- a good book
- holding hands
- my wife and children
- long time friends
- a fine lager (ok, just about any micro-brewed artisan beer)
- Tony Packo’s hot dogs (harkening back to my Toledo, Ohio roots)