My Social Media Job Description
Posted by Tom Humbarger on October 30, 2008
For one of my projects this week, I had to create a social media job description. I did a quick search on Google and on various job boards, but I didn’t like any of the descriptions that I saw.
So, I wrote my own “perfect” job description which could be viewed almost as a checklist. I think the responsibilities should be stated in fairly broad terms without getting into specific tools or techniques. I also don’t like job descriptions that specify a number of years of experience. Instead, a social media expert should be able to point to his body of work – through his blog, his Twitter feed, his LinkedIn profile or Facebook page – and that should be sufficient proof. Finally, a list of key attributes is essential to get an understanding of the candidate’s personality.
Besides me, does this description fit anyone you know in social media?
Let me know what you think or add your suggestions in my comments.
Social Media Job Description
The most important part of this job is that the candidate must have demonstrated and extensive social media experience. This means that the person is actively participating in a wide variety of social media activities such as blogging, community development and management, social bookmarking, commenting, etc. and is well-connected with the broader social media world. The second important part is that the candidate must be able to think strategically, but be willing and able to roll up his sleeves to help implement the programs.
Responsibilities – the key responsibilities for this position include:
- Create a comprehensive social media strategy to define programs that use social media marketing techniques to increase visibility, membership and traffic across all XYZ brands and Implement and manage social media programs
- Experiment with new and alternative ways to leverage social media activities (“marketing R&D”)
- Monitor trends in social media tools, trends and applications and appropriately apply that knowledge to increasing the use of social media at XYZ
- Strategize with and educate the management team and others across the company on incorporating relevant social media techniques into the corporate culture and into all of the company’s products and services
- Measure the impact of social media on the overall marketing efforts
Experience – the ideal candidate will have experience in the following areas:
- Social media tools and techniques
- Marketing (traditional, new media, guerilla and ‘word of mouth’)
- Product marketing
- Press and analyst relations
- Business development
- Financial and quantitative analysis
- Project management
Attributes – the key attributes for this position include:
- Willingness to experiment
- Ability to deal with uncertainty
- Ability to contribute individually, and lead, manage or participate in cross-functional teams
- Doggedness and determination
- Ability to synthesize large amounts of data into actionable information
- Excellent writing skills and a willingness to use them
- Excellent verbal communication skills
- Ability to create great working relationships with all levels within the company and across multiple disciplines
- Sense of humor
This entry was posted on October 30, 2008 at 2:00 am and is filed under Uncategorized. Tagged: human resources, job description, social media, social media job description. You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.